Wednesday 4 April 2012

My Creative Space

I've just finished off another journal. I'm not entirely convinced by the closure so it's still somewhat work in progress. What do you think?



This is a handbound leather journal with a grey grained leather cover.



For the closure, I've used a long leather lace cut from the same leather. I've added a flower shape cut from leftover cerise suede from a previous project and a celtic patterned concho. The leather lace winds around the book a couple of times and is then wound around the concho to secure.



I'm using 140gsm cartridge paper again and have added some cerise coloured art-paper of the same weight. In total this journal has 264 sides of paper to draw, scribble or write on.



In keeping with the flower shape I used on the cover, I've glued a couple of botanical inspired print postcards into the inside front and back cover. The leather is not very stiff so the postcards will provide a little bit of extra support.



Here's the exposed long-stitch spine.



I've now had a go at bookbinding with each of the leather pieces I have in my stash. I want to try to learn how to do a link stitch - there are so many cool journals on Etsy with a fantastic long stitch/link stitch combination. I just need to find a good tutorial on it!

Find inspiration from other creative spaces here.

Have a creative day, friends.

8 comments:

  1. Another gorgeous creation Ady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are just rocking these journals. I'm so impressed with what you've done with one tutorial and some leather. Really amazing and inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! Very eye-catching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow that is really beautiful ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I hadn't realized you were making journals! It's beautiful. And your fingernail looks gorgeous, too!
    Take care,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! I think the closure works - I just would have chosen a brighter colour for the flower (but then, I'm a sucker for bright colours!!!). Have a great long weekend!
    S xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This what a great journal. I agree that the closure works, but maybe it would be better with a bit more contrast from the background colour?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful journal! Great work!


    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.