Thursday 7 April 2016

Happiness is a self-made dress that actually fits!

Hello everyone! It's been pretty busy here at Chez Craftady. Hence the lack of postings of late. Sorry! I hope to make up for it very soon with a neat little tutorial of a paper flower the girl child and I made recently for her school Easter holiday project. Anyhow, I wanted to share with you something I made for myself recently. It's been a while since I made myself any clothes. I had the Simplicity 2444 pattern in my stash for some time and finally decided to pull it out after seeing all the lovely versions out there on the Internet.


It's a Project Runway pattern with lots of different options and variations. I decided to go for the sleeveless. I have had this particular fabric in my stash for a year. I bought it last summer intending to make a dress with it but never did. Aren't the flamingoes adorable?


Instead of using facings, I decided to line the whole dress with a navy coloured lightweight poplin. This meant making two of everything .... Except for pockets. The bodice is fitted with four darts on the front and two in the back. The skirt is lovely and wide with darts at the waist. Best of all, it's got pockets!!

I really took my time with this one. I made the lining of the bodice first and used that as a toile to make sure it fitted. I had cut a straight size 16 out of the packet. There is a zip at the back which went in surprisingly easy.

I am very pleased with the finished dress. It fits, it's comfortable .... It has pockets! See? What do you think?

I was so thrilled with it that I just started cutting out a second one. LOL! With summer approaching, it would be great to have a couple of new dresses for work.

It's Friday soon. Yay! Do you have any nice plans for the weekend? I am going to try to get some more sewing in, then I have market on Saturday morning and Missy Moo and I hope to finish the tutorial and post that for you next week.
Until next time, happy crafting!

2 comments:

  1. Your dress is adorable and it looks fabulous on you! I'm just getting back to sewing with a new machine after a 15 (or so) year hiatus. I've been looking around the Web for inspiration - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I'm going to search for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.